TALA Zinnia Legging

overall rating:



Lauren Johnston
No items found.

As an active gym member myself, I recognise the importance of workout clothes that make you feel comfortable and confident. Despite many companies in the fashion industry failing to meet sustainability targets, for me, TALA leads the activewear and athleisure industry in terms of sustainability and transparency. The company openly displays information on how their products are made and what they are made of, allowing them to promote sustainability and take accountability. This has ultimately made it easier for consumers to purchase consciously, whilst receiving stylish and affordable activewear. Therefore, the Zinnia leggings and the company TALA as a whole receives a high planet rating.

What it's made of:


The Zinnia leggings are mostly made of up-cycled polyamide (92%) with the remaining 8% consisting of elastane. One supplier TALA uses for these materials is Q-NOVA, who up-cycle unusable materials that would have otherwise been disposed of as external waste. To do this, they employ the MCS regeneration process that uses less energy, chemicals and produces less waste. Under the ‘Product Details’ tab on the website, TALA claims that ‘these leggings save over 40 litres of water and 2kg of CO2 compared to non-up-cycled Polyamide’. There is evidence to support this claim since these regenerated waste materials are certified by the Global Recycling Standard (GRS) and EU Ecolabel. Using waste products to create their fabrics allows the company to reduce the amount of land, water, emissions and chemicals needed to manufacture the leggings. 

However, these fabrics continue to release microplastics which pollute natural ecosystems and are extremely difficult to remove from the environment. TALA does acknowledge this issue on the website, recommending consumers to wash items less frequently and offering a Fibre Filter Bag to trap the fibres. Furthermore, although up-cycled, these materials need to be synthetically made in the first place, which would have various effects on the environment through emissions and pollution. 

How it's made:


TALA is extremely transparent on where their manufacturing sites are based and how their products are made – even to the extent of attaching a video of the factory and manufacturing process! The video implies that the factory workers genuinely enjoy their job, depicting a safe, clean working environment in which they are appreciated in every step of the manufacturing process, from designing to distributing. On the website it states that the Zinnia leggings are made in Portugal where the associated companies that TALA works with are audited by SEDEX through site visits, reviews and interviews. This organisation promotes ethical trade and good working conditions throughout the supply chain. The production methods used in these factories have also been accredited by Global Organic Textile Standard which considers textile processing, manufacturing, packaging, labelling and distribution. 

However, the fact that TALA outsources parts of the supply chain means that it is difficult for the company to be fully aware of all activities in the manufacturing process – as well as a sizeable carbon footprint during distribution.

Who makes it:


The leggings are made by TALA which is owned by Grace Beverley, a social media influencer and entrepreneur, with a passion for sustainability. On the website, the company’s core values are published, consisting of sustainability, style, competitive pricing, individuality and transparency. These values summarise Beverley’s goal of providing affordable and stylish activewear that prioritise sustainability targets and the planet’s needs. TALA’s sustainable style ethos of #ITSCOOLTOBEKIND embodies their goal to eliminate fast fashion and provide a sustainable alternative – ultimately enabling the brand to lead improvements within the industry. 

The company also promotes their ethical standards, recognising their responsibility to ensure positive working conditions for all those employed. Their factories meet a range of requirements, including the SEDEX audit, the Business Social Compliance Initiative and the Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production certification, all of which guarantee no child labour, fair wages and humane manufacturing processes. However, TALA fails to be fully transparent about wages and working conditions in their factories, creating suspicion as to whether the company is fully committed to the ethical standards they praise themselves on. The fact that they outsource all manufacturing processes means that factory owners can take cost-cutting measures, resulting in good practices and working conditions being dropped, whilst TALA is completely unaware. This highlights one issue company’s face when trying to find low-cost manufacturing processes whilst ensuring ethical standards are met - perhaps locally manufactured clothing will be a better alternative.